Robert T. Miller, Ph.D.
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org web: www.janerob.com
US and UK. Family:
Wife, one daughter. Born:
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Bioinformatics Scientist with proven track record in protein
structure/sequence and DNA analysis
- Software Engineer with 30+ years experience in commercial and
- Proven ability to enter a new environment, identify opportunities
and then design and deliver solutions
- Self-starting fast learner enjoying new challenges and application
- Creative problem solver with strong communication skills and
supportive attitude to bring out a group's very best
- Expertise across scientific, technical and people domains
- Independent Developer, 2016-present:
- Realidata, Ltd.: iOS Software and Bioinformatics Consulting
- Heptares Therapeutics:
GPCR stabilisation and drug discovery
- 2011-2015 Principal Scientist:
- Created software to predict GPCR stabilising mutations from sequence and 3D structure data, achieved ca. 80% accuracy
- Created compound management system for inventory and location tracking of in house samples
- Created docking server for chemists to run docking protocols developed by chemoinformaticians
- Created text analysis sysem to crawl PubMed/MeSH data for orphan diseases with GPCR link indications
- Molecular Biotechnology Group, National Biotechnology Development
Agency (NABDA/FMST), Abuja, Nigeria
- 2008-10 Consultant for creation of national bioinformatics
- AfriConnect Zambia:
Internet Service Provider
- 2006-10 Senior Technical Consultant
- Software development: create and maintain web interfaces for
system monitoring and manipulation by support staff; automate
- Staff training: design and implementation of existing network;
- Network administration for 1,000 client satellite/wireless
broadband ISP in Lusaka
- Manage local VSAT connection for remote work
- West African Biotechnology Workshops (WABWS)
- 2003,05 Lecturer for workshops at University of Ibadan,
- Perl Programming
- Protein Structure and HIV
- Inpharmatica, Ltd., 60 Charlotte St., London W1P 2AX.
- 1999-03 Associate Director, Research Informatics
- Line-manager for 9-15 Bioinformaticians.
- Major projects covering genome annotation, gene finding, protein
- Extensive role as interface between scientists and IT
- South African National Bioinformatics Institute (SANBI)
(laboratory of Dr.
Winston Hide), University of the Western Cape, Bellville, South
- 1996-99 Postdoctoral Research Fellow & Manager, Durban
- Created and managed bioinformatics lab to support Virology
Department, Nelson Mandela School of Medicine, Durban, South
- Developed STACK clustered EST database and STACK-PACK, the
toolset to create it.
- Licensed by over 100 sites (commercial and academic)
- University College London (laboratory of Prof.
Janet Thornton, FRS, DBE)
- 1994-96 Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- THREADER testing and GUI development.
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- 1992-93 NORCUS Appointee: Developed protein structure
analysis tools in C and Lisp
- Washington State University
- 1989-92 Research Assistant: Developed inter-processor
communication protocol for atmospheric hydroxyl radical monitor.
- Molecular Kinetics/BioLogic
- 1987-90 Technical Consultant Sole technical support on North
American continent for BioLogic rapid kinetics equipment.
- Maverick International
- 1985-87 Embedded Systems Software Engineer: Assembly
language firmware development
- Dar es Salaam Yacht Club, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- 2017-20 Club Secretary, Dive Section
- American International School of Abuja (AISA),
- 2004-05 Board President and Chair of Strategic Policy and
- Team leader: initiated development of first expatriate secondary
school in Abuja (3rd graduating class in 2011)
- Team member: initiated creation of multi-million dollar new
school for capital of largest country in Africa
- 2003-04 Board Secretary
- Current: Actively working with OpenSCAD, Python, Objective-C, SQL
(PostgreSQL, SQLite, Oracle, MySQL), HTML, iOS, Mac OS X, Linux, 3D printing
- Previous: Extensive experience with Lua, Perl, C, C++, Tcl, Lisp, assembly
code, Fortran; Unix, Gnome, Qt, X11, MS-Windows/DOS, AmigaDOS, VAX/VMS;
PC Hardware, Intel Touchstone Delta, Maspars; 2-D PAGE; CD, UV-Vis and
NMR spectroscopy; logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, solder; auto
- New: Easily acquire new skills on a project basis, particularly
as regards computer technologies and languages
- Interdisciplinary Ph.D., Biochemistry, Computer Science, and
Chemistry; Washington State University, Spring 1994.
- dissertation: Bioinformatic Approaches to Protein Structural
- Tektronix Fellow, NORCUS Appointee.
- M.S., Biochemistry, Washington State University, Autumn, 1991.
- emphases: protein structure, computational and instrumental
- M.S., Computer Science, Washington State University, Summer,
- emphases: artificial intelligence, graphics, theory of
- B.A, B.S., Liberal Arts, The Evergreen State College, 1985.
- US history, political economics, biological sciences, electronics.
- terms of study in: D.J. Evans U.S. Senate office; E. Kutter T4
phage lab; Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- ''A comprehensive approach to clustering of expressed human gene
sequence: the Sequence Tag Alignment and Consensus Knowledgebase,''
Miller, Christoffels, Burke, Ptitsyn, Broveak, and Hide, Genome
Research 1999 9(11);1143-55.
- ''Protein Fold Recognition by Sequence Threading: Tools and Assessment
Techniques,'' Miller, Jones, and Thornton, FASEB Journal 1996
- ''Development and Application of a Three-dimensional Description of
Amino Acid Environments in Protein,'' Miller, Douthart, and Dunker, Advances
Molecular Bioinformatics, IOS Press, 1994, ISBN 90 5199 172 x,
- ''An alphabet of Amino Acid Conformations in Protein,'' Miller,
Douthart, and Dunker, Proceedings of the 26th Hawaii International
Conference on System Sciences, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1993.
- ''Learning an Objective Alphabet of Amino Acid Conformations in
Protein,'' Miller, Douthart, and Dunker, Techniques in Protein
Chemistry IV, Academic Press, 1993, pp. 541-548.
- ''Identifying Repeated Structural Elements in Folded Proteins,''
Miller, Douthart, and Dunker, Proceedings of the 27th Hawaii
International Conference on System Sciences, IEEE Computer
Society Press, 1994.
- ''An integrated genetic data environment (GDE)-based LINUX interface
for analysis of HIV-1 and other microbial sequences,'' De Oliveira,
Miller, Tarin and Cassol, Bioinformatics 2003.
- ''STACK: Sequence Tag Alignment and Consensus Knowledgebase,''
Christoffels, van Gelder, Greyling, Miller, Hide, and Hide, Nucleic
Acids Research 2001.
- ''A novel approach towards a comprehensive consensus representation of
the expressed human genome,'' Hide, Burke, Christoffels and Miller, Genome
- ''Conformational changes in a mammalian voltage-dependent potassium
channel inactivation peptide,'' Abbott, Mercer, Miller, Ramesh and Srai,
- ''Secondary structure, stability and tetramerisation of recombinant
K(V)1.1 potassium channel cytoplasmic N-terminal fragment,'' Abbott,
Bloemendal, Van Stokkum, Mercer, Miller, Sewing, Wolters, Pongs and
Srai, Biochim Biophys Acta 1997.
- ''Successful Protein Fold Recognition by Optimal Sequence Threading
Validated by Rigorous Blind Testing,'' Jones, Miller and Thornton, Proteins
Older Open Source Contributions
- fixes to 386BSD iso9660 filesystem to support Brookhaven PDB cdroms
- minor pilot-link work
initialiser for IrDA subsystem on some
- Linux driver for
Synaptics cPad mousepad
- Prozect, a
hierarchical outliner and to-do list for the Sharp Zaurus PDA
- Linux driver for
Kensington Expert Mouse Pro trackball
- Piccel, an editor for
ICC Color Profiles under Linux